Unlawful Imprisonment Charges in Michigan
An Unlawful Imprisonment prosecution can be difficult if not impossible to handle without a skilled trial attorney at your side. Fortunately the attorneys at The Kronzek Firm can help. We have decades of experience at every type of criminal defense and we provide aggressive criminal defense to our clients.
Michigan Unlawful Imprisonment Laws
Unlawful imprisonment is a variant of kidnapping and is not only prohibited by law, there are severe penalties if convicted. Unlawful imprisonment involves knowingly restraining another person under any of the following circumstances:
- The individual is restrained by use of a dangerous instrument or weapon.
- The restrained individual is secretly confined.
- The individual was restrained (a) to facilitate the commission of another felony (like murder, CSC, etc.) or (b) to aid flight after committing a felony.
“Restrain” means to forcibly confine a person as to interfere with his or her liberty without consent or lawful authority; or to forcibly restrict a person’s movements. There restraint could be for any length of time may be incidental to or related to other criminal acts.
“Secretly confined” means either to keep the location of the restrained individual a secret or the confinement itself a secret.
A person who commits unlawful imprisonment may be charged with a felony with a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison, a fine up to $20,000.00, or both. A person charged with this crime may also be charged with other crimes that arise from the same incident.
Defending Unlawful Imprisonment Cases
We are Michigan’s Premier Criminal Defense firm. We have been actively defending criminal cases in Michigan for approximately two decades. We have many, many excellent results for our clients including dismissals, acquittals, reduced charges and no-jail sentences. Contact us online to find out how we can help you. Or you can call (866) 766-5245 to talk in person
Because of the severity of sentences for an unlawful imprisonment conviction, people facing a prosecution for this criminal offense need an excellent defense from a top rated lawyer. A poor defense can mean jail or prison.
Remember Your Rights
One of the most important things an attorney can do for you if you are charged with unlawful imprisonment is to defend your constitutional rights. Often, police trample over your rights when trying to get you to confess, when trying to gather evidence or when arresting a defendant. The violation of rights can be a powerful issue in your criminal defense if you have the right attorney.
Sometimes, people go through cases with an attorney that does not know how to assert constitutional defenses. Sometimes, attorneys just don’t put forth enough effort. Our philosophy is that every client deserves the best possible defense. If you want a consultation with one of our felony defense attorneys, call today for a free consultation at (866) 7-NoJail. Our attorneys are available by appointment and 24/7 for emergency situations.
Best Approach to Unlawful Imprisonment
The best defense always comes when we roll up our sleeves and work together. Our approach to criminal defense is the team approach. The team always involves the client. We generally won’t work with clients unless they are willing to work alongside of us. You may find working with The Kronzek Firm attorneys different to any experiences you have ever had with attorneys. Welcome to the team!
TALK TO A CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY.
CALL (800) 576-6035
More information on Unlawful Imprisonment Charges in Michigan
- Michigan Kidnapping and CSC ChargesIllegal Immigrant Charged in Kidnapping of 13-year-old On July 7th, a 13-year-old girl was reported missing to Florida’s Polk County Sheriff’s Office. Very little has been revealed about the ensuing investigation. Or even about where police got their tips. But within days, authorities in Florida were told that the missing girl was likely in a […]
- MI Kidnapping Charges – Michigan Ex-Con Taken Into Custody For Attempted Abductions and Rape ChargesOver the weekend, a Michigan ex-convict was taken into custody by police after allegedly attempting to abduct four women during a three hour period, raping one.